Sunday, June 6, 2010

Moving...it's never fun

For the second night in a row I am fighting off a migraine...it has been a long and exhausting weekend of lifting, loading, prepping, packing, selling, sunning, burning, beer-ing, and not enough sleeping. MOVING! I've done it so many times in the past six or so years, you'd think I would have gone pro by now. The amount of items I have accumulated from the beginning of college until now is disgusting. Or, it WAS disgusting. I have fallen upon my apartment like a black, scourging plague, dispatching of any and all unnecessary items...and believe me, when you've spent more than an hour sorting through anything, you begin to seriously question every item's worth. At this point, I almost just want to pitch it all out and start over!

I have to give mad props to my parents who have helped me with every move, working way harder than necessary and complaining only minimally ;) My mom is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to organizing and packing. She darts around like a hummingbird on Redbull, going in about five directions at once and somehow managing to bring a sense of order to complete chaos. My dad, on the other hand, goes into his surly 'moving mode', where he is happy to haul anything in or out, but will gladly rip you a new one if you as much as look at him the wrong way. Somehow, this combination works out, though I'm not about to ask why or how.

The garage sale Friday and Saturday was ridiculous, but I managed to rid myself of quite a few superfluous items and make some sweet moolah in the process. I also achieved a stunning sunburn, as Saturday was the first sunny day we'd had in weeks and I wasn't about to waste it. As soon as the garage door went up at 8am I was out in my chair in my tank top and wayfarers. Not sure if it was worth the pain, but it was nice to feel warm again!

Today was supposed to have been my day to head out for my summer at the Ranch, but the garage sale turned out to be more of a time suck than I had anticipated so I had to delay my departure one day. After slogging through the wreckage of my apartment for a few hours, it became apparent that a one day delay was not enough. Updated ETD: Tuesday AM, God willing and the creek don't rise.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious image of Sue as the hummingbird on red bull and the sulking Jock. I love your family.

    ReplyDelete