Monday, March 7, 2011

For those of you considering Alaska...

...here are some things you need to know. Now that I am a seasoned veteran (haha...kind of?) of bush living, I am ready to share my knowledge with the world. This blog goes out to any prospective bush teachers who are in the midst of the job hunt and are overwhelmed with questions. These pieces of advice might be specific to my experience only and not necessarily the same everywhere in the bush, so do with them what you will. If you have any further or specific questions, feel free to post in the comment section and I will answer you as best I can!


Alaska Essentials Part 1: Clothing and Outerwear.

This is the section where I save you from buying three different coats and/or getting frostbite while you're out adventuring on the tundra. You don't need to repeat my mistakes! As far as coats go, the one coat you need to have is a long (mid-thigh length) coat or parka with a hood. Make sure it is rated for at least as cold as it gets where you expect to live. Third time was the charm for me - I found this delightful Eddie Bauer parka that is rated for -20, is windproof (very important), waterproof, and down-filled (even the hood!). The mid-thigh length is a must because it keeps the wind from blowing up your back when you are out riding hondas, snowmachining, or just walking around.

The next thing you need in your outerwear arsenal is snow pants or bibs. I bought snow pants, though if I were to do it over again I would definitely go for bibs. They also help to eliminate the whole wind up your back scenario.
As far as boots go, I reccommend both snow boots and your basic rubber boots, so your feet will stay dry during both of the Alaskan seasons (winter and not winter). If you are going to be wandering around in extreme cold for long periods of time, I suppose bunny boots would be a good option, but if you plan to be out and about in the snow only occasionally then you should be just fine with any decent, well-insulated, waterproof snow boot. As far as rubber boots go, they are great if you live in a coastal village like Stebbins because late summer and early fall are filled with events happening around the beach. I love my Hunter wellingtons because not only are they stunningly gorgeous and highly fashionable, but they are also tall enough that wading into the Bering Sea to pull out a salmon net becomes less of a hazard.

The next most important piece of outerwear you need, especially if you plan on spending any time outdoors in the winter, is a good base layer.  My dumb butt almost froze last December when I went traipsing across the tundra in naught but my skinny jeans. A base layer is a must!!! My Under Armor base 3 is light yet incredibly warm (kind of spendy, but SO worth it).

Finally, for your outerwear crowning glory, you need a good hat. You should, of course, have other cold weather accessories like gloves or mittens, scarves, wool socks, etc., and those things are pretty easy to find, but nothing beats a good hat. And if you make the move to Alaska, you might as well treat yourself to the best. And trust me people, it doesn't get any better than one of these:
A handmade, spotted seal and beaver hat beats the hell out of anything even the most high-tech outerwear companies can produce. Obviously, this is something you can't exactly buy in advance, and the materials may vary from region to region in the state, but a Native-made fur hat is definitely a must-have, in my humble opinion. These are usually made by craftspeople in the village, and you will just have to ask around if you are interested in one. I am madly in love with mine and still maintain that it is the best piece of outerwear I have ever purchased.

Odds and ends and other clothing dos and don'ts:
- You can't go wrong with Uggs
- Flannel shirts are delightful
- High heels and arctic grates don't mix
- LAYERS
- It's ok to wear leggings under everything
- Keep your sunglasses handy
- If you walk to school, have a pair of slip-on boots you can walk in, and carry your dress shoes in your bag or just leave them in your classroom.
- You CAN still dress like a professional, even in the bush! (as long as you are a little creative)

Stay tuned for my next installment on bush living where I will be discussing the exciting topic of GROCERIES/SHOPPING in the bush! Much love to you all, especially those of you on the job hunt. It all works out in the end, I promise!
XOXOjane

1 comment:

  1. Jane. I love you and miss you terribly. It's funny cuz i was just thinking about doing a post similar to this for those bush-bound to this continent. Can you procure for me one of those sweet seal fur hats and I'll swap with you for something equally African and cool? stay warm and cozy. xoxo ash

    ReplyDelete