Sunday, August 22, 2010

The day before the first day of school, or, the last day of my life as I have known it.

It all comes down to this. Months of preparation - packing, shipping, traveling, saying goodbye to family and friends, and leaving my old life (physically, at least) behind, and now I am here: on the eve of my first ever first day of school, in Alaska of all places!

Ever since my arrival in the state just two (is it even possible?!) weeks ago, I have been almost non-stop doing things I never imagined I would (or could) do. When I think about what I was doing at this time last year...well, if you had told me then that at the same time next year I would be getting ready to start my teaching career in the Alaskan bush, I would have laughed in your face. It's funny, the way things turn out, isn't it? As a friend pointed out to me just recently, you have to wonder if some things just happen for a reason. Life can seem really random and pointless at times, until you start to look back and connect the dots. I do think some purpose or plan larger than myself has helped me to reach this point, but at the same time, I have to give myself some credit. I also have to give credit to my incredible, supportive family and one very dear friend, who have in equal parts held my hand and kicked me in the butt. You know who you are, and I wouldn't be sitting here today if it weren't for you love and guidance.

I believe it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said "Do one thing every day that scares you." I have (almost unknowingly) made that my new life philosophy, and so far the payoff has been startling. And because of that fact, I am confident that no matter how nervous, stressed, and flat out scared I am about what is going to happen in the coming days, weeks, and months, I will only end up stronger for it. I will try to keep posting here as regularly as possible, but no guarantees...I am going to be slightly busy from here on out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment